Folks - Your Hammerheads continue at a good pace this season and currently stand at 12-1 atop the 10 DII clubs in Florida. We are the #1 seed representing the FRU in the South Playoffs!!!
3/30 Florida Championship vs. Tampa Krewe or Boca Raton - Estero Community Park 2pm
4/13 South Quarterfinal - Veterans Park Naples 2pm
4/27-28 South Championships Jet Blue Park Ft. Myers
5/18-19 National 16 Virginia Beach, Va
6/1-2 National Championship Glendale, Co
Look forward to seeing you soon!!!!
12/1/2 - Estero, FL
The Naples Hammerheads Rugby Football Club hosted the visiting Ft Lauderdale Knights on Saturday, Dec 1, 2012 in Estero, FL, Jeremy Brown refereeing. Naples wore white with green trim while the Knights wore blue with black trim. The weather in sunny south west Florida was fantastic, with a consistent stiff breeze going across the pitch from east to west. Both clubs came in at 2-0. Naples were missing several key players out with injury, so reserves had to step up to counter a strong and youthful Knights side.
The game was whistle filled, and soon became the ‘battle of the boots’. Both sides traded penalty kick after penalty kick, with neither missing. The halftime score was all knotted up at 9 apiece.
The second half continued a similar game flow, with both defenses stifling any attempted back line breakthroughs. A liberal whistle by the ref allowed both teams to trade more kicks at goal. Naples started to apply more pressure as the minutes wore on, but had one perceived try in the corner disallowed. It was ruled that buff Naples prop, Walter Gutierrez, had stepped into touch (out of bounds) before placing the ball down inside the try line. The tight game continued. It remained 15-12 before the Knights missed a drop kick for goal. Naples soon responded with the only try of the match when speedy back, Max Westendorf, placed one down in the corner of the try zone. Once again, the ref and touch judge deliberated before the try was allowed. Naples 8 man, Jeff Brill, converted the try with a long kick. It was Naples 22 Knights 12 at this point.
There was still plenty of fight left in the Knights. Their skilled kicker soon made it 22-15 in the waning minutes. The visiting side then regained possession due to another Naples penalty. The Knights were knocking at the door in the final seconds, being granted penalty call after penalty call. The Naples defense dug into a try line stand, showing great heart as each penalty whistle was blown against them. The Knights could not break through with the game tying try, getting stifled multiple times. The final whistle was a relief for the home side. The Knights players were left lying on the pitch in frustration, having tried their best. Final score Naples 22 Ft Lauderdale 15. Naples flyhalf Ryan Shore was a perfect 5 for 5 in kicks for goal and saved the day for the home side. Veteran coach and utility player Bryan Vince held his own at prop, while Naples scrum half Ryan Young was awarded man of the match for his brilliant generalship and direction on the pitch. Special mention goes to former Hammerhead president, Keith Hopkins, who came out of retirement to fill in for a 60 solid minutes.
11/3/12 - Your Hammerheads travelled with 23 ruggers (all but the head coach made an impact on the pitch) and a good group of spectators to Ives Dairy Park in Miami. The 'heads did great work throughout the match in providing fast, playable ball for Ryan Young to deliver to his mates. Ryan Shore and Garrett Coe providing lots of go forward opportunities that both backs and forwards alike enjoyed throughout the match. When the guys weren't going forward they played good defense in allowing just the lone penalty kick by the Miami #10. The penalty count was decidedly in our favor and in favor of Shore's boot, which was on, giving us 4 pens including one from the midfield line. All in all, it was a great effort. We definitely come out with opportunities and adjustments to focus on. We need numbers at training to improve!!!!! Thanks to Miami for being great hosts. The BBQ at the pitch was great...
Tries: Biada, Tyson, Pierson (2), Bergh, Kermundu
Conversions: Shore (5)
Penalty Kicks: Shore (4)
Walter G, Ian L, Jean E, Bryan V, Dan B, Jeff P, Ken D, Aaron G, Scott L, Wayne T, Mike D, Mike B, Ryan Y, Ryan S, Mehmett, Kevin B, Garrett C, Brandon P, Matt S, Moose B, Jack S, Nick H, Jude K
Game tape from the other guys - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3m0qPDKGmw
It was business as usual for a depleted Hammerhead touring side last Saturday in the Bahamas. The boys traveled with 13 players but still managed to steal a victory from host club Cuckoos Rugby out of Nassau, Bahamas. The Bahamanians were big and fast, but handling would prove to be their downfall. Several scoring opportunities for the hosts were lost the way of knock-ons, while the Hammerhead defense held strong, stuck their tackles, and capitalized on mistakes. For more coverage on the game from the Tampa Bay Examiner, visit http://www.examiner.com/article/hammerheads-ruggers-wreak-rugby-havoc-bahamas?cid=db_articles. All other questions can be answered by this video:
Hammerhead News! 10/5/12
- In an effort to reduce the quantity of news/info. to the club, welcome to the Weekly Hammerhead News!!! We aim to share pertinent info here on a weekly basis every Friday. It will be posted to www.hammerheadrugby.com and the Yahoo Group. We will do our best not to fill up your email inbox with unneeded information by including it here!!!! The Facebook will continue to be used for auxiliary info., but the Hammerhead News should be your main source for info. and coming events…
- Last Saturday (9/29/12) the HHs captained by Jeff Petrie defeated Orlando 21-7 with tries coming from newcomer Max Westendorf, Dan Banks, and Mike Davis… The FGCU Girls lost a close one to the Eckerd Girls. FGCU Men defeated Ave Maria…
- Home Matches in Estero tomorrow…. 1pm FGCU vs USF 3pm Hammerheads vs Miami Bumblebees. Stoney’s to follow...
- Next Weekend…. Nassau Cruise!!!! Let Ken or I know if u still want in at reduced rates!!!!
- Club Participation
In an effort in increase participation and engagement, we are rolling out a couple incentives…
- Club Members will receive Hammerheads 2012 FL Champs/South Champs receive these once they have either signed up for a Paypal payment plan or payed their dues in full
- Club Members will receive a HH Hat for volunteering a
full day at Girls Champ. or bringing in a $100 or greater sponsor.
We need to kickstart our culture of participation and service
and hopefully this is a good way to do it!!!
- Club Dues – We are working on a system that provides merit for club participation as well as simple cash payment towards our expenses. Look for this to be rolled out soon!
- Ladies National Championship Survey – Please take it!